The Greater Burlington YMCA provides a diverse organization of people of all ages joined together by a shared commitment to nurturing the potential of youth, healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility. As a Y employee, you’ll be inspired to make a difference each day in a position that matters. With a strong mission and core values, we offer a cause you can participate in.
We are looking for a Traveling Substitute for our Afterschool Programs. Our programs are located in Underhill, Waterbury, Barre, Fairfax, Fletcher, Georgia, and Jericho. The Traveling Substitute can work at all programs or be an area substitute to cover just a few schools. This position is very flexible. As Program Staff you will be a key part of a team of educators who work directly with school age children (5- 12 years of age) Monday through Friday the hours of all of our afterschool programs are 2:00PM-6:00PM. This position can be as needed, or if you'd prefer a guaranteed 20 hours a week with a possibility of going to another site as needed.
- Maintain visual and auditory supervision of school age participants at all times.
- Participates actively in all aspects and activities of the program including swim and gym.
- Be an active participant in ongoing staff and professional development meetings and provide innovative ideas to the program.
- Assist in planning, supervising, organizing, and execution of school age programs.
- Execute programming as support to the Site Director in an effective, relatable and meaningful way.
- Assist in maintaining an organized and clean space.
- Responsible for the safety of all participants enrolled in the program, including attendance, ongoing head counts of participants and executing emergency procedures, as required or needed.
- Report concerns to the Site Director (before speaking to parents or guardians).
- Complete and maintain all necessary professional development requirements of the position.
- Communicate with a respectful and positive attitude with staff, parents or guardians, participants.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities for youth through character development, emphasizing evidence-based experiences that promote empathy, relationship building, emotion management, responsibility and personal development, in and out of Y programs.
- Demonstrate and teach the Y core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility throughout Y programming.
- Demonstrate a sense of maturity when working with school age participants and sensitive issues.
- Demonstrate effective leadership skills and a positive attitude with children between the ages of five (5) and fourteen (14).
- Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
- Demonstrate a strong sense of maturity with the ability to relate to and lead school age children.
- Provide effective communication both written and orally.
- Demonstrate positive reinforcement, along with appropriate problem-solving and team building skills.
Benefits & Perks
- Individual membership for part-time staff, along with discounts on programming, camps, child care and fitness classes.
- Paid time off
- Retirement Savings Plan and Pension Eligibility
- National Training with Y of the USA
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
The Greater Burlington YMCA is an inclusive, nonprofit organization joined together by a shared commitment to nurture the potential of kids, promote healthy living, and foster a sense of social responsibility. Strengthening community is our cause.
Together we work to ensure that everyone, regardless of ability, age, cultural background, ethnicity, faith, gender, gender identity, income, race, sex, or sexual orientation has the opportunity to reach their full potential. We value an environment that fosters dignity, respect, fairness, and appreciation for all aspects and dimensions of diversity.