This position supports the work of the Y, a leading non-profit dedicated to fostering community growth through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. As a School Age Program Staff member, you'll play a vital role in assisting the Program Site Director in overseeing and implementing enriching programs for children aged five (5) to twelve (12). This position runs Monday-Friday with program beginning at 2:00PM and ending at 6:00PM with the exception of early release days which are a longer day.
- Maintain continuous visual and auditory supervision of school-age participants to ensure their safety and well-being.
- Engage in program activities, including interactive sessions like swimming and gym time.
- Contribute actively to ongoing staff development meetings, offering creative ideas to enhance program quality.
- Collaborate in the planning, organization, and execution of diverse school age programs.
- Deliver program content in a dynamic and relatable manner, providing valuable support to the Site Director.
- Help maintain an organized and clean program space to create a positive environment.
- Ensure the safety of all enrolled participants, including taking attendance, performing head counts, and executing emergency procedures as needed.
- Communicate any concerns to the Site Director before discussing them with parents or guardians.
- Complete and maintain all necessary professional development requirements of the position including first aid and CPR, Vermont Orientation, and Mandated Reporting.
- Work with Site Director to ensure up to date documentation for personal file.
- Communicate with a respectful and positive attitude with staff, parents or guardians, participants.
- Foster respectful and positive interactions with fellow staff, parents or guardians, and participants.
- Demonstrate and teach the Y core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility throughout Y programming.
- Approach working with school-age participants and sensitive issues with a mature and compassionate demeanor.
- Attend scheduled School Age Staff Meetings to stay informed and engaged.
- Provide assistance during vacation camps as needed.
- Be flexible and willing to substitute at other afterschool sites when needed.
- Accurately maintain personal timecard through the ESelfServe system.
- Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
- Demonstrate effective leadership skills and positive attitudes with children between the ages of five (5) and twelve (12).
- Display proficiency in positive reinforcement, problem-solving, and team-building techniques.
- Have reliable transportation for consistent attendance.
- Possess strong written and oral communication skills.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to lift and carry at least 50 lbs.
- Ability to participate actively in all aspects and activities of the program, including swim and gym. (May also include kneeling, bending, stooping , crouching, balancing, talking, and hearing).
- Free individual membership for part-time staff and dependents up to age 12
- Program, camp and child care discounts and member benefits
- Paid time off
- Retirement Savings Plan and Pension Eligibility
- National Training with Y of the USA
- Supporting and becoming part of a strong community
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
The Greater Burlington YMCA is an inclusive, nonprofit organization joined together by a shared commitment to nurture the potential of kids, promote healthy living, and foster a sense of social responsibility. Strengthening community is our cause.
Together we work to ensure that everyone, regardless of ability, age, cultural background, ethnicity, faith, gender, gender identity, income, race, sex, or sexual orientation has the opportunity to reach their full potential. We value an environment that fosters dignity, respect, fairness, and appreciation for all aspects and dimensions of diversity.